Monday, January 9, 2012

Inspire.


I don't really consider myself a writer, but I have been feeling a bit of "writers block" lately and it's been about a month since I've written in my blog. I have been thinking about a lot and I have a lot to say (as usual) but nothing seemed to move me enough to get me here. Until tonight...

While I was at the gym, I received a message on Facebook from a previous teacher. The message reads as follows:

"While our interaction stems from years past, I just have to tell you how inspirational you are to me. I enjoy your posts on FB - - - most recently, from the words of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross to the pictures of beautiful skies - - - because these posts reflect the real lives that we all live. I am also reinforced in my core values by witnessing you face the "highs and lows" of life head on in an honest, sincere, and thoughtful perspective. So, the teacher becomes the student in this case...... Congratulations to you on your career and all your other endeavors! Good luck to you as you proceed forward. (And it looks like you had a great time in Williamsport over the past holiday season.)"

This really made my day. It really got me thinking about the things people can do on a daily basis that might require a little "going out of the way".... but that going out of the way can go such a LONG way.

Even tonight, as I moved around the gym, so many people looked... blah! No one smiled. Not one person. And you're probably thinking, so, it's a gym.... but what if that one smile is the one thing that could make or break someones day? How many times a day are each and every one of us given the opportunity to reach out to others. You don't know who is struggling... some people are incredibly talented at hiding their pain.

The message refers to a quote I had put on my page earlier... a quote I got out of a book I received for Christmas from my very dear friend Allison Scott.

The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, know struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep, loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen...."

-Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

I love this quote because of all the truth it possesses. True beauty is not only found within, but it is a product of everything that we experience... defeat, suffering, loss, etc.

This past year has not been easy. There have been days when I felt my heart could burst with different emotions. Life stops for no one. There are no time outs. My brothers last words replay over and over in my mind at times... "I know you'll be ok" he said. "You are smart, you are strong, you are a leader... you are a JASPER!"

I may not have had the most perfect like growing up, and for many of you know who me and know me well... I have had my fair share of trials and tribulations. But life has no time outs and does not stop for anyone. You have to make the best out of each and every situation, push on when circumstances seem unsurmountable, and try to look at each obstacle as a challenge and then a blessing. Things happen as they should; I don't believe in accidents. It's up to us how we handle both the blessings and the challenges in life.

I don't know what it is that makes me appreciate life so much. I want to live my life like it can be taken away tomorrow because it can. When you experience a loss so close to you, there is no better lesson.



Thank you Mr. B, for your very kind words. This teacher became the student again... you made my day through your inspiring words.


Lyndsay

No comments: